Thursday, September 11, 2008

I feel her pain

I just read this article over at Chicago Moms Blog, and it made me remember a couple of instances from last year when I was getting to be very very pregnant and people just didn't know how to keep their mouths shut.

First instance, Chris and I were at the grocery store, standing at the deli counter, and there was a man with his two young-ish children with him. He looks over at me and asks me "does it hurt"? Um, excuse me? He proceeds to go on about how uncomfortable his wife was when she was pregnant, blah blah blah. I'm pretty sure I kept my response civilized given that he was with his kids, but I was pretty darn pissed when we walked away.

Second instance I was by myself, in the parking lot of Dick's, and a man yells across the parking lot at me if I had two in there. He also had his young son with him, so I refrained from yelling expletives back at him. But I'm pretty sure I did call my mom in tears when I got in the car.

I just don't get why people think they have a right to approach strangers and comment on their pregnant size. I'm pretty sure they don't walk up to any old fat person and comment on the size of their belly. Keep it to yourself, people!

No comments: